A Bugatti will always be turning heads and when the high-performance car brand has unveiled their latest Chiron at the Geneva International Motor Show 2016, it did not go unnoticed. A supercar needs a super-watch, and with Bugatti it is Parmigiani Fleurier who is responsible for creating timepieces as fascinating as the car.
This time, with the PF-Bugatti 390, Parmigiani Fleurier has unveiled a new generation of Bugatti replica timekeepers. The PF-Bugatti 390 is conceived as a motor-bloc on the wrist which movement takes a tubular, perfectly concentric shape. This coaxial structure splits the functional sections of a movement into separate compartments, which are in mutual interaction just like the motor of a car.
This section determines:
– Power reserve indication
– Winding of the barrels
– Time setting
2. Energy supply
Two barrels ensure constancy in the supply (Analogy with the two fuel tanks of a Bugatti car). Series-coupled barrels with a “triangular coupling” innovation:
– Barrel 1 is directly combined with barrel
– Consequently, the
3. Train wheel
Function: Energy transmission from the barrel to the escapement.
– Axial configuration instead of flat
– The classical reduction ratio (alternation of Wheel-Pinion-Wheel-Pinion) is no longer used. The transmission is ensured by a planetary gear, which consists of a central wheel, three satellites and a fixed toothed crown
There are three series of planetary gears that enable together:
– The reduction ratio function
– Transmission of the torque
– The centring of the force at each level.
– Flying tourbillon 60 seconds which diameter defines that of the whole concentric tube
– 4 Hz, very rare for a tourbillon; great inertia of the balance wheel
– Excellent power to weight ratio: very light yet resistant materials. Enables optimal adjustments and compatibility with the COSC standards.
The link with the dial occurs at the level of the central planetary gears (Transmission section).
Recovery of the torque and transposition by means of a worm screw (an exceptional element for a wristwatch), which enables:
– Angle function: the energy switches to a new plane and exits the closed tubular circuit, thus allowing a dial-display
– Anti-return system: irreversible mechanism, maintaining the hands’ original position
– Robust and reliable mechanism.
More at www.parmigiani.ch